Policies and Procedures
Faculty and Staff
Related Arts and ECE
Backpack of Success
Mission and Motto
Code of Conduct
History of JCTMS
After becoming disenchanted with an ever-changing education system, Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS) parents Mrs. Rebecca M. Blakemore and Mr. Frank E. Christ began researching different school structures. They found that a fundamental school approach was exactly what they were looking for. This philosophy centered on a basic, traditional learning style that emphasized academic, moral, and physical achievement in a highly structured educational setting.
In the fall of 1976, Jefferson County Traditional High School was opened in a wing of the Thomas Jefferson High School with 425 students, which included both high school and junior high school students. Despite some early difficulties with transportation, books, and the space issues of sharing a building, the program was a success. Over the next few years, the program moved several times as enrollment increased and more space was needed.
By 1980, the junior high school had reached its capacity and was finally moved to its present location at 1418 Morton Avenue in the old Woerner Junior High School. In keeping with the district's move from junior highs to middle schools, the name was changed and thus, students in grades six through eight would now attend the newborn Jefferson County Traditional Middle School.
*For a more in-depth history, please visit our school for access to all archived historical records or call 485-8272. You may also want to visit Atherton High School's Web site.